RSS

Why You Should Include Sprouts in your Preps

Bean Sprouts for your preps

Those of us in the over-35 age range probably have a bit of difficulty jumping on the “sprouts” bandwagon.  Though they lately seem to be making a more mainstream comeback, I know I associated “bean sprouts” with women who never shaved their legs or used deodorant.  This was not an a group I felt an affinity for and so I didn’t give sprouts much thought.  More recently, I have reconsidered.

Especially on these darker yucky days of winter, I am longing for fresh produce.  I’m regretting that I did not follow through on my intention to get winter salad greens sown in our raised beds.  Fortunately, produce is presently available to me at most markets so that I don’t develop scurvy or vitamin K deficiency.  One of the big down sides is that I have to be willing  to shell out what seems like a hefty sum for fruits and veggies grown thousands of miles away and shipped to our locale.

What if the shipments stop?

We live in a wealthy nation with adequate food supplies available to most people.  Not so for Greece where people are becoming desperate.  If our country continues along its present path, we may be headed the same direction.  Regardless of the reason for the food scarcity though, any interruption in the commercial supply of nutritious food could wreak havoc on our health.  We’ve got to plan ahead.

Possibilities for Produce

If we become completely responsible for the food we eat, that essentially leaves only a few options.

• Store the food (freeze-dried or dehydrated in the case of produce)
  • Forage (good choice, but requires thorough knowledge of plant ID and availability)
  • Grow it

Dried foods are pretty tasty and have their place in a food storage system.   Nutritionally, they are a good choice since they retain most of the original nutrients and can be largely used the way fresh foods are.  The down side is they tend to be pricey.

Joe and I thoroughly recommend that you study up on what plants can be foraged for food or medicine in your area and maybe even start patches of these things on your property.  That’s not a weekend project, though.

Growing your own becomes an obvious advantage.  I’d recommend keeping a year ’round supply of salad greens going in sheltered beds (do as I say rather than as I did on this one.  ;-) ).  If that is not possible for reasons of outdoor space, extreme weather, or other, sprouts will be an even better choice.

Growing sprouts is economical, space-saving, and a very healthy option.  With about 2 minutes of your time each day, you can keep healthy greens coming every day of the bleak winter.

In a future piece, I will give more information on where you can get supplies, what kinds of sprouts you may want to try, how to use them, and the nutritional benefits.

Related Posts

, ,

7 Comments on “Why You Should Include Sprouts in your Preps”

1. shockanawe Says:

Costco Wholsale online has a great sprouting kit at a great price, and Amazon.com has a large variety, include sprouting trays.

2. Bridget Legg Says:

I am very interested in the subject of bean sprouts and would like to learn more about it. I’m looking forward to when you post more information on the subject. Thanks!

3. Elise Says:

Sprouts taste so good, I don’t know why I didn’t think of adding them to my stockpile. Good call.

4. Lynn Says:

I think we are ready for the best sources for all types of sprouts. Also, what is the shelf life and how best to store them long term; freeze maybe?

5. useful link Says:

I drop a comment when I especially enjoy a post on a website or if I
    have something to contribute to the conversation. Usually it is caused by the passion displayed
    in the article I browsed. And after this post Why You Should
    Include Sprouts in your Preps | PreppingToSurvive.com. I was excited enough
    to drop a thought :-) I actually do have a few questions for you if it’s
    allright. Is it just me or does it seem like a few of the comments come across as if they are
    written by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting on other places, I would like
    to keep up with anything new you have to post. Would you list all of all your community sites like
    your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

6. spray tan ukiah Says:

“And I can see you – Your brown skin shining in the sun – You got your hair combed back – Sunglasses on baby”.

In order to get a rich and spotless tan while keeping your
    skin smooth and glowing, it is necessary to use
    the best quality tanning products. Cheaper versions are less likely to coat evenly or have colors that do not blend well with a variety of skin tones.

7. marine refrigerator hydrogen lp gas conversion kit for Says:

She has a charm that is slightly reminiscent of
    the childhood favourite Rosie and Jim’s Ragdoll, with a modernized interior to suit the 21st century traveller.

After users select their avatar they’re transported into their apartment.
    If you’re worried about your stored wine going bad in the heat of your boat, you
    need to invite me over.

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,930 other followers